Established in October 1959, CSIO was chartered to stimulate the growth of indigenous instrument industry in the country through development of contemporary technologies and other scientific & technological assistance.
Initially located at New Delhi, CSIO moved to Chandigarh in 1962– the City Beautiful in the north west of Delhi. CSIO Campus (spread over an area of approximately 120 acres) comprises of Office Buildings, R&D Laboratories, Indo-Swiss Training Centre and a Housing Complex. An austere four-story building and the accompanying workshops were inaugurated in December 1967.Another four-storey block was added in 1976 for housing R&D Divisions,Library, etc. During mid-eighties, the laboratory buildings and infrastructural facilities were modernized in order to gear the Institute towards taking up development projects in challenging and emerging areas of technology.
A separate Administrative Block was inaugurated in September 1994.
With a view to meeting the growing demand of well trained instrument technologists, Indo-Swiss Training Centre (ISTC) was started in December 1963 with the co-operation of Swiss Foundation for Technical Assistance, Zurich, Switzerland.
News & Announcements